The Outcast

In the 19th century the cutthroat upper class of New York City was extremely selective with their acquaintances. If you were not the top tier societal members, find a new group to run with. Edith Wharton’s, The Age of Innocence opens with the wealthy ones gathered at the opera. Most think the opera is a good place for social bonding, but in their eyes the most important thing to do at the opera is judge everyone, and make sure you are seen. Protagonist, Newland Archer, is sitting in his family’s section when he notices a scandalous misfit in the section of his fiancée, May Welland. Our outsider, countess Ellen Olenska, draws the attention of the entire theater due to her unusually low social status. The countess turns out to be cousins with May Welland, and is recently separated from her husband, so Mrs. Manson Mingott takes in the misfit. A conflict I see sprouting is Archer’s specific attention to Ellen Olenska, that I predict will cause some future conflict.

Before reading The Age of Innocence I did some research to see what I was getting myself into. From the research I concluded the main plot of the story is Newland Archer’s conflicting drives for May Welland and Ellen Olenska. Although he is engaged to May right now, I am predicting Archer will separate from her because of Ellen. However, I do not believe this will happen right away. Because of society’s standards Archer will probably need to keep his affection for Ellen internal to maintain his reputation. I think the end theme will be that Archer chooses to be with Ellen to go against the conforming standards of present day New York City.

2 thoughts on “The Outcast”

1. I am also read this novel and I agree with all of the claims you make in this initial response to the book. I find the irony of the opera scene to be very interesting because everyone is there to appreciate the art of it, yet all they do is criticize those around them. I also agree with your statement that he will probably separate from May to go after Ellen but his place in society and ideals will deter him from doing so. It’s interesting that the author chose this scene to set the tone for the novel and I’m excited to see where the plot goes from this point on.

2. I am reading “The Age of Innocence” as well and I agree with everything you said about the novel so far. I am anxious to see what happens between Newland Archer, May Welland, and Ellen Olenska and how their societal expectations and standards affect their circumstance and outcomes. When I first chose to read this book I did not expect it to begin this way and did not think the initial setting would be the opera but I think Wharton made a good decision doing so.